So, in our quest for cheap good food, I discovered how to cook beans. I actually love beans and rice, but cooking dried beans always seems to be complicated, so I've normally relied on canned beans. But I have recently discovered that my crock pot is the easiest way to cook them -- and I don't have to be home or pay attention to it. I have cooked black beans, pinto beans, and black-eyed peas this way. Then I usually make refried beans ( a vegetarian recipe from the Moosewood Cooks at Home cookbook, below).
Dried Beans
Place a 1-lb bag of beans in the crock pot, cover with water until it comes about two-inches above the beans. Soak overnight. Drain in the morning, cover with water again, and turn it on low to cook all day (about 6-8 hours), or on high to cook half a day (3-4 hours).
Refried Beans
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp (or more) cumin
salt
4 cups (or two cans) black or pinto beans, drained w/ liquid reserved
Saute the onion in olive oil. Add cumin and salt to taste. Add beans, cook until hot. Mash beans with the back of a spoon or potato masher. Add enough bean liquid until you have the consistency you want.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment